Do you have a favourite memory of a perfect summer day?
Summer means cottages, camping, beaches, pools, campfires, and roasted marshmallows, but somehow a seemingly ‘normal’ day (is there such a thing?) created the strongest and happiest memory, and in this case a recipe.
This is a memory of a perfect summer day, and a favourite recipe that came out of it too.
Having my kids home for a visit in the summer is a high point for me, and having them all at home at once is a reason to celebrate.
I remember a special time a few years ago when all three of my kids were home for a visit, it was a bright and sunny weekend, and I was inspired to try a refreshing new recipe to celebrate.
The recipe began with a watermelon, and my favourite treat is squeezing lime juice on watermelon and eating it with a fork, and it evolved from there…
I’m sharing this with you today, I hope you have fun with it and this is the beginning of a bright and sunny memory for you too. ;))
Please share your summer memories, and recipes below I would love to see them!
Refreshing Watermelon Salad
- 1 medium ripe watermelon to provide 4 cups, chopped
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 cup Feta cheese goat or cow
- 3-4 tbsp juice from fresh limes
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bunch flat parsley washed, stems removed
- 1 bunch fresh mint washed and stems removed
- Wash and squeeze the limes, you need about 3 tablespoons of juice.
- Remove the peel and thinly slice the red onion, cut slices in half or quarters.
- In a small bowl, add the sliced onion to the lime juice and marinate.
- Slice watermelon into 1-inch thick pieces, cut into triangles and remove rind and pits, chop into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Wash and cut the cucumber into 4 pieces lengthwise and chop these into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop or break Feta into bite-size pieces
- Tear or chop parsley and mint leaves into nice sized pieces, not too small.
- Combine the above ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour the onions and lime juice marinade over the salad and toss.
- Add a pinch of salt and a generous grinding of pepper.
- Taste, and adjust salad ingredients to suit your taste, or add more lime, salt, and pepper if needed.
- Enjoy this beautiful salad with people you love, or as a treat for yourself.
Please share a favourite salad recipe or a summer memory below. I love hearing from you!